www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watch your step!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fngonuts
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Watch your step!!!! Reply with quote

Its that time of year again. Just reminding everyone to look out for the poisinous snakes. You normally won't see them but sometimes they can't avoid you.

This baby copperhead got run over and was stuck in the middle of the road. It was unable to go anywhere but was still alive and pretty ticked off.

Cougardaville

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell No Exclamation Exclamation

I am not a snake person Shocked Shocked Shocked

fngonuts
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their not all bad I imagine they eat alot of rodents. I spent alot of my childhood hunting snakes. Of course poisoness snakes were not common in Philadelphia. So I'm deffinately more careful now that I've moved to the mountains and have seen copperheads and rattlers. I keep the dogs on shorter leashes since they both almost got bit. Thats the best I can do after all I'm on their terrain.
bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY, NJ, and PA, all have copperheads and rattlers.

I know that made you feel a lot bertter Cougardaville. lol

NY and PA have 2 kinds of rattlers. NJ only has one but then we didnt need a second one because we have our Governor. Wink

fngonuts
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know not everyone here enjoys snakes but I hope some people do.

I found this five foot long Black Snake down at my in laws.

It was aggressive when I first encountered it. It immediately went into a strike position and followed my movement as I circled around it. It even tried to scare me off with its impersonation of a rattler. Black snakes commonly flick their tale like a rattle snake in an attempt to bluff their way out of danger. I'm sure if it did this in dried leaves it would sound almost as convincing as it looked.

I was able to contain it for a minute under a pool skimmer. It quickly calmed down. I like to think that it knew if I wanted to kill it I would of already. I gently picked it up and carried it to the house. Like most of the snakes I catch It never once tried to bite me. I find that if I'm gentle with them they are gentle with me.

It was the first snake my nephew ever got to see. He was deffinately more curious about it then scared. If ya can't tell.

After our short visit and naming it Sammy we put it back where I found it.

Of course I had to explain to him that he shouldn't catch snakes. I told him I know the difference between the dangerous snakes and the harmless ones. I also told him that one day when he was older I would teach him all about snakes.
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
What a cutie Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
I caught a nice one last year and she was 5 and a half feet long. Her husband is a full six feet. I found his fresh skin. They live around the barn in the manure pile. They sure like to eat rats Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
There are plenty of black snakes around here.
Not too far from me is the northern most copperhead colony. I do Not want to meet any of those Mad
I am glad there doesn't seem to be any rattlers right around here. I am not fond of those either.

Bloodhound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: