www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Mountain Lions near Ranch home, Sept 08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Three Mountain Lions near Ranch home, Sept 08 Reply with quote

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — The early morning sunshine revealed three mountain lions near Bruce and Jan Shugart’s Faranhyll Ranch home Sunday morning.

For Jan, the experience was more exhilarating than frightening, she confessed.

“Actually it was really cool,” Jan said. “They are gorgeous animals, and you could see their paws up close and their muscular bodies, it was fascinating.”

Bruce first discovered one of the mountain lions coming around the side of the house as he enjoyed the morning air from the deck of their home, located about three-and-a-half miles up Four Mile Road. He then went to get Jan so she could see the feline for herself. But upon their return there were two more mountain lions going through their garden. At one point the lions were within about 10 feet of their patio door looking right into their dinning room, Jan said.

“They were meandering around the house, just lollygagging, not in a hurry at all,” Jan explained. “They just kind of hung out in the yard for a while.”

Jan and Bruce took some photos with a cell phone camera and later with another digital camera.

Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton said the Shugarts handled the situation well.

“Seeing (a mountain lion) passing across your land when you are in a rural area is something, if you are in a house, enjoy the opportunity because it’s not often when people get to see mountain lions in the wild,” Hampton said.

This year, Garfield County residents have seen their share of mountain lions in the area. The DOW shot and killed a 2-year-old male mountain lion on East Elk Creek Road north of New Castle on Aug. 28, after the animal killed a horse and stashed the carcass for later feeding. Another man shot and killed a mountain lion on Main Elk Creek Road, just west of East Elk Creek on Aug. 5, after the animal approached the man and his wife who were out walking in the evening.

In July 2007, a colt was attacked by a mountain lion near Silt but later recovered from its injuries. Several other incidents involving mountain lions have occurred in the area, according to Hampton, but there’s definitely been an increase this year.

“It’s been a fairly active summer for mountain lions,” Hampton said. “We’ve probably had 15 or more calls about mountain lions this year over previous years.”

However, this most recent sighting had no report of incident or injury to any other animal or person, and Jan indicated that she had notified all of her neighbors of the mountain lions and to keep their pets inside. She also said that Sunday evening, one of her neighbors had told her that they, too, saw a mountain lion in their driveway but were unsure if it was one of the three that the Shugarts had seen earlier that morning.

There is no particular reason for the increased sightings and incidents, according to Hampton, other than population and increased urban sprawl.

“There have been more instances this year than I’ve seen, but there is nothing that causes it as with bears,” Hampton said. “Like last year we had forage failures with the bears and we definitely had a very strong bear activity. This year we’re just seeing more mountain lions. There is nothing to tie it to directly, there is just more people and when there are more people out there you are going to see more lions.”

Seeing three lions together is rare, Hampton said.

“If there is more than one in a certain location, it’s generally a mother and a cub or two,” Hampton said.

What frightened Jan about the lions near her home was that they retreated from the house on a hiking trail that she and Bruce frequent. In fact, Bruce had been out the prior evening hiking in the same area. According to Hampton, the evening or early morning hikes being put on hold may be a good idea, because dusk and dawn are the times when mountain lion incidents most often occur. It’s a good idea to bring in the pets during those times as well.

If a person encounters a mountain lion Hampton said they should never try and approach the animal. According to Hampton, people should head in a different direction, slowly back away, and make themself appear as large as possible.

“You don’t want to turn and run,” Hampton said. “That will trigger their attack instinct, and they will chase you. Just back away slowly.”

If the animal does approach, Hampton said to throw rocks, sticks or whatever is available at the animal without crouching down or appearing smaller to the lion.

According to Hampton, game management unit 33 for hunting encompasses the area north of New Castle, Silt and Rifle, has the second highest mountain lion harvest for the state. In 2006, 18 mountain lions were harvested in unit 33 alone. The highest area is just north of unit 33, unit 23, with 19 total lions harvested in 2006. There were only two mountain lions harvested, both males, in unit 43, west of Glenwood Springs, encompassing the area where the Shugarts live.

Contact John Gardner: 384-9114
jgardner@postindependent.com

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20080930/VALLEYNEWS/809309997/1083&ParentProfile=1074&title=(No%20heading
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing photo Exclamation I don't think I would be hiking that trail for a while, but I sure would keep my cameras handy...what a picture Very Happy

They have very concerned looks on their faces, don't you think Question Question

Three 44s
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Beautiful Creatures ........ In The Wrong Place! Reply with quote

Yes ..... cougs are gorgeous ...... but in the wrong spot .... pretty or not ....... once habituated ... they can be very dangerous.

By their actions, these cats are WAY too comfortable slowly strolling around the yard of this ranch family ....... in broad daylight no less with the homeowners right out there .... AND clicking pictures!

You gotta realize that for these normally wary creatures to do this in daylight ............

....... they have done the same on many a night!

My advice to this family ......... don't be doing any outdoor sleep walking!!!

Three 44s
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one thing to have the coyotes eating the chickens outside the window Rolling Eyes , it is another when it is a large cat. I don't think I would have let those cats meander away. I think I would have at least hurried them along Wink
It says ranch house, doesn't mean it is a ranch. I thought this was a residential developement on the edge.

Bloodhound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: