www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat spotted in central Indiana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronKnees
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Cat spotted in central Indiana Reply with quote

11/03/2009
To: Tracking Cats.com
I've heard the rumors for years and only once, several years ago did I actually find a track with a tail-drag mark. This morning, in my north woods I saw this thing with my own two eyes... A large jet black cat that I would guess around 60 pounds give or take, with the very obvious, unmistakable cougar like tail... It bounded up the hill back there (aprox. 20 yards) and made the trip in exactly two jumps, landing on all fours at the top of the ridge after the second jump... This further enhansed my ability to get a reading on size...

In Colorado I saw a mountain lion do the exact same thing, completely clearing the road to camp in one graceful leap... I don't have a fever, and I do know what I'm seeing in the woods... This cat is either a leopard or cougar... Others have sighted it in the past, but this time I saw it for myself... I scanned the treetops for about fifteen minutes trying to find it watching me, but it had gone over the ridge, and I simply was not up to trying to trail it... Absolutely fascinating and the absolute truth!!! Dave Quick www.handloadingforhunting.com

Bearman58
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what you saw, but at least we know it wasn't a cougar. There is no evidence for the existence of melanistic cougars, ever, anywhere. No skins, no road kills, no photos. Escaped(released?)leopard-possible, but how come no one ever reports seeing the much more commonly kept spotted variety?
IronKnees
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely... Although there is much "talk" about melanistic cougars, I believe the best bet is a black panther or a black leopard of some sort... There have been reports in our general area of the fawn colored mountain lion and I am very familiar with mountain lions... This cat looked much like the mountain lion, as does the panther, but since I elk hunt in the Uncompahgre area of Colorado every year and have had frequent sightings....but again, this was jet black... An escapee from an exotic cat enclosure I would expect... All I know is that there have been reported sightings in my area for years, and today, I finally saw it myself... Kinda'Kool!!!
cynthiaisloyal
Tracker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
I too believe this to be some tyoe of escaped/released cat, but it is interesting that these exotic leopard pather types can adapt and survive in the North American climate....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: