www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jersey cougar spotted 3/12/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: New Jersey cougar spotted 3/12/10 Reply with quote

MANALAPAN — Police in Manalapan set out a deer carcass this morning hoping to attract a large feline reported by at least one resident Thursday http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/manalapan_police_set_out_deer.htmlnight as a mountain lion in a wooded area bordering Marlboro.

This morning, police dragged into the woods the carcass of a deer that had been hit by a car several days ago. They also set up a motion-activated camera that will hopefully capture the feline’s image if it comes to feed on the carcass, said Capt. Chris Marsala.

Marsala said authorities don’t believe they’re dealing with a mountain lion, but they may have a large feline wander through the nearly 100 acres of woods at Robertsville Road, Taylor Mills Road and Long Street Drive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Authorities search Monmouth County wooded areas for mountain lion sighted by motorist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We’re not out chasing a mountain lion nor do we believe there is a mountain lion,’’ Marsala said.

A motorist on Robertsville Road in Marlboro reported seeing a deer cross the road and a large cat — what the motorist believed was a mountain lion — chasing after it shortly before 8 p.m. Thursday, Marsala said.

Marsala said a police officer went to the area and spotted a fox, but later Marsala found a feline track and Marlboro animal control officer Anthony Lena saw a large cat with a long tail sneaking along a creek bed by Robertsville Road. The feline was much larger than a house cat but was not a mountain lion, Marsala said.

While a Monmouth County helicopter flew overhead with spotlights, six police officers pushed through the woods in an attempt to drive the animal into the open, Marsala said.

"We pretty thoroughly covered the area but we didn’t see any mountain lion,’’ Marsala said.

Last edited by Cougardaville on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their opinions don't mean much to me. The question is what do you all think? Is it a cougar track?
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbones wrote:
Their opinions don't mean much to me. The question is what do you all think? Is it a cougar track?

Keen eye my friend...that is a DOG print Exclamation They may have seen a cat, but that's not a cougar track Rolling Eyes
Bearman58
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say dog track also! And I'll predict here that no phots of cougars will surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: