www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about a cougar's tail when it runs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAHerper
Tracker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Question about a cougar's tail when it runs Reply with quote

Not sure if this is where I am supposed to post a question, as I am new here, but I was wondering if anybody knows if a cougar runs with its tail down. Back in mid-May I was camping in Apalachicola National Forest in the Florida panhandle. We have been told that the Forestry service have released at least two Panther in Apalachicola National Forest in the last few years. On May 16 we were driving a road in the forest (Rt. 379 in Liberty County) at night when we saw a large animal run across the road in front of us. Our description was as follows: slightly smaller than an adult deer, solid tan color, squarish looking head, ran like a cat (not like a dog or coyote), and definitely did not look like a deer. We all believe it was a cat of some type, but we all agreed (there was 5 of us) that it did not look like it had a tail. Most of us believe it was a bobcat, but I believe it was a cougar based on the size, and the color - being a solid tan. If a cougar runs with the tail down, that would explain why we didn't see a tail as it probably blended in with the legs. It ran across the road pretty quickly and it was night, but it did run across the road maybe only 50 feet in front of us. There is no doubt about the solid tan coloration. We have been cruising forest roads on a regular basis for 20 years or so and have seen tons of deer, so we are pretty sure it was not a deer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: