www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History Channel Series: MonsterQuest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilexfilmworks
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: History Channel Series: MonsterQuest Reply with quote

A new History Channel series premieres Halloween night, 10pm eastern. MonsterQuest. Repeated showings throughout the week at various times. December 12 episode is "Lions in the Suburbs." A look at big black cat sightings across the US.
Website is http://www.history.com/minisites/monsterquest
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: History Channel Series: MonsterQuest Reply with quote

ilexfilmworks wrote:
A new History Channel series premieres Halloween night, 10pm eastern. MonsterQuest. Repeated showings throughout the week at various times. December 12 episode is "Lions in the Suburbs." A look at big black cat sightings across the US.
Website is http://www.history.com/minisites/monsterquest

I had the privilege of a sneak peak....I will be watching...hope you all will be too, ( with the LIGHTS on) Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

It's on tonight............ Idea

bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's the night! Exclamation Exclamation Don't forget to watch. Very Happy
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seemed to be the same stuff. Rolling Eyes Experts say there are no big black cats and regular people say they see them.
The West Virginia video was interesting. They said it was 24" long from nose to rump. Pretty big for it to be a house cat but small for a leopard. No answers, just more questions. Evil or Very Mad

Bloodhound
bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Just more questions. I have to say that I didn't do any fancy math to get the measurements of that cat but you could see it wasn't a house cat for goodness sakes.

No one challenged his measurements. Personally, I think that cat was bigger.
I'm no expert or mathematician but I think I am pretty good at judging size.

Just my opinion....

PaGuy
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. That was far from being any house cat.
As far as those bones left by the fence at that one site, who is to say those were the bones from the dead cat? There could have been another dead animal in the area. Happens all the time.
Those people that saw it should know the difference between a cat and a coyote.
al.gillis
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Images from Mr. Bowers' camera Reply with quote

Measurement for the torso of Mr. Bowers from the top of his head to his rear quarter(34.16")yielded a comparable length of about for 24.82" from the top of the cat's head to its rear quarter. This is about right when I compared the ratio of the two images. The black cat's torso is much longer/larger than a house cat, but is not near in size to what we have been seeing in adult Cougars in our area. Obviously, the cat's torso is not indicative of the torso of an adult cougar. A cat similar in size to Mr. Bowers' image length (34.16") is what I would expect to see if the Cat was near the size of an adult cougar. What it is remains unanswered. .....No report was made about any sounds that the cat may have made. Granted the distance was over 200 yds, but sound carries a long distance in the country. Apparently, they did not chase it away that day, but this may have been the only sighting....We have seen both a tabby cat and an adult cougar in our second field.(multiple non simultaneous sightings.).... There is NO mistaking the two!!!...
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the black cat was not the size of a cougar but it is very large for a house cat. It seems to be unknown what it is.
The other thing they did not mention were Shocked black Bobcats. These do occur in the South but there was no mention of them on the show. They talked about black leopards and jaguars but not bobcats Question Question They should have done more research Exclamation

Bloodhound
ilexfilmworks
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other thing they did not mention were black Bobcats. These do occur in the South but there was no mention of them on the show. They talked about black leopards and jaguars but not bobcats They should have done more research

Black cat in WV video had a long tail.
Cat + long tail = not a bobcat.

Why would you say "They should have done more research"?

???
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the WV cat was not a bobcat but the show I believe stated that the ONLY black cats are leopards and jaguars. That is not true because there are black bobcats. Also jaguarondi can be black and they occur in Texas. They are smaller cats but you could mistake one as a "black cougar".

If they do a show on cougars I hope they show all the colors they come in. I have seen pictures of tawny ones, red ones, greyish ones, white ones and a so- called "blue" one. That one was interesting. He was dark red with black hairs mixed through the whole coat. He still had the white areas and the pure black markings but he was Very dark colored. If you saw him in low light I bet he looked black!

Bloodhound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: