www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Black Panther sighting in Upstate NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kduncan6
Tracker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Possible Black Panther sighting in Upstate NY Reply with quote

Possible black panther sighting in the town of Butternuts, NY. I saw an animal the size of a large black lab with a long tail jump into the woods from the road. I got out to see and spotted it looking back at me under a bush approx. 50-60 feet away. It had a round face, round ears and round eyes reflecting back at me. It ran off and I saw it's tail again. The brush was so thick I couldn't see it again and I wasn't "prepared" to go chasing after it. I have traveled that area heavily in the past couple of days, but haven't seen any more sign.
I've heard that someone that lives 5 miles away saw 2 of them. I haven't spoken to them yet though.
UpStateMike
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Black Panther sighting in Upstate NY Reply with quote

kduncan6 wrote:
Possible black panther sighting in the town of Butternuts, NY. I saw an animal the size of a large black lab with a long tail jump into the woods from the road. I got out to see and spotted it looking back at me under a bush approx. 50-60 feet away. It had a round face, round ears and round eyes reflecting back at me. It ran off and I saw it's tail again. The brush was so thick I couldn't see it again and I wasn't "prepared" to go chasing after it. I have traveled that area heavily in the past couple of days, but haven't seen any more sign.
I've heard that someone that lives 5 miles away saw 2 of them. I haven't spoken to them yet though.

Hey there. I live in South New Berlin, NY. Not too far from you. Last year we had some unusual noises at night and this place was great to help understand what it may. I have several people that I trust tell me they have seen large cats in this area, mostly near Morris which is just down the road.

When I speak about these sitings, I always get the "it must have been a coyote, or lynx (mysterious long tailed variety) or a fisher. Keep posting to let everyone know what you find out.
kduncan6
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike! I drive by that area twice a day everyday to feed my horses and cows and haven't seen nor heard of any sign. I have also had people tell me that they have seen large cats with long tails while driving at night. And of course, others looking at me like I have three heads. I've been facinated with mountain lions since I was a kid, so I'm not unwise to their look and movements. If it was a fisher, it was a very large one. All I know is that when it jumped into the woods my first thought was, "Did I just see what I think I just saw?". After I lost sight of it, I started walking into the woods after it and after about 40 yards I stopped and thought...........this isn't real smart! If anything comes up, I'll definately drop a line.
Bearman58
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go-jumping in again. If it was black, its not a cougar. If it is a leopard or Jaguar, what do you suppose the odds are of multiple individuals being loose in your area. If its not black(you saw it after dark), then you might be right. If it is so often spotted, I'd suggest you get cameras set up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: