www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flying deer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamcowboyup
Tracker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: flying deer? Reply with quote

ok so last night i was up in state land out of deposit ny looking for some scrapes and buck rubs. well after our snow storm there was alot of trees down across the trails and stuff so i was swerving not to hit any and so i slid into the ditch. while im digging the truck out i noticed blood on a tree and looked up and there was a doe about 20 ft up in the tree with her throat ripped out and hide missing off her hind quarters. what could have drug a 150-200 lb doe up a tree and with my fingers spread apart i could almost match the slashes on her. am i gonna be the hunted this season.
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: flying deer? Reply with quote

teamcowboyup wrote:
ok so last night i was up in state land out of deposit ny looking for some scrapes and buck rubs. well after our snow storm there was alot of trees down across the trails and stuff so i was swerving not to hit any and so i slid into the ditch. while im digging the truck out i noticed blood on a tree and looked up and there was a doe about 20 ft up in the tree with her throat ripped out and hide missing off her hind quarters. what could have drug a 150-200 lb doe up a tree and with my fingers spread apart i could almost match the slashes on her. am i gonna be the hunted this season.

Thats some adventure...you will have to show me some pictures of this...
150-200 pound doe?
So who did you report this to? what did they tell you?
teamcowboyup
Tracker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a few pictures when i go to town tommarow i will pic up the disc, i told the dep all they said is that it must have jumped from the ridge up above and landed in the crotch of the tree. a buddy shot a mountain lion in the town of deposit and buried it in a manure pile out back, dep came the next day told him not to say a word and took the carcass which was chipped and had a collar. but i have heard of a story about jaguars in new berlin area that it was from a circus in the 20's was going threw and a wagon holding 4 breeding pairs tipped over releasing them i dont know if its true or not. a friend also has a few pictures of one killing his cat in trout creek all this is in a watershed area and state land area's. i got a good one tho if the state lets these cats loose with chips and collars and die what would stop the state from finding them a getting them same with a sighting, say scince i reported this what if they are up there tracking it and relocating it or killing it. last year a shot a timberwolf that was harassing our deer and sure enough i got home and found the dep at my door step and they took it and said it was a coyote. i never seen a coyote as big as my golden retriever im sorry but it had to be a timber why else would they be waiting for me. but agian ill get the pics tommarow and ill go back out tommarow night with a ladder to get closer up close pictures.
Bearman58
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOrry-nut job
Catwoman
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where was this ? Rolling Eyes I'll believe your story when I see those pictures you took. Wow. a 100 pound cat or something drug a 150-200 pound deer into a tree? Must be one dumb Cat or Bigfoot. He coudda buried it. Maybe it was a big squirrel?
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catwoman wrote:
Wow. a 100 pound cat or something drug a 150-200 pound deer into a tree? Must be one dumb Cat or Bigfoot. He coudda buried it. Maybe it was a big squirrel?

Now, Shocked now, we don't ridicule people on this site. Ask questions yes but not nasty!
Did you ever think a cougar could learn to drag a deer up a tree to get away from the eastern coyotes that will take and eat his deer? The cat killed deer that I found was taken by coyotes after a few days. That cat would have been very disappointed to return to find the carcass completely cleaned. Also the weight would not be a problem for the cat either. They are plenty strong enough to do it if they want to. No, cougars are not as strong as leopards but a cougar could do it if it wanted to. Deer are not as heavy as some of the animals leopards eat.

Maybe DEC was correct and a deer fell from a ledge to become stuck in a tree. We don't know the area, it could be possible. The next question would be" what was chasing a deer so that it became disorientated and fell/jumped"?????????? Maybe a deer that had never seen that predator?

Bloodhound
Catwoman
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't being nasty- just a bit skeptical and humorous. One doesn't have to believe all the tales they read now, do they? It is just as possible that a giant squirrel pulled a deer up into the tree as the story that was posted. Lets see those pictures. I think we're being "had"....
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, see I know a man well who found a deer up in a tree. So there very well could Be a deer in a tree. As to how it got there, I don't know. I want to see the pictures myself.

Bloodhound
bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the first time I have heard stories of deer being found in a tree.

One doesn't have to believe anything but all posters deserve a chance to speak without feeling uncomfortable.

That is the one thing I love about this board. Everyone is given their chance to tell their story. No one has to be afraid to speak here. I would NEVER have told my story anywhere else. Very Happy

PaGuy
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous to this time, I've heard of two other times that deer were found up a tree.
I've been told that it happens in areas where the coyotes are stealing the stashed kill.
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy
Catwoman
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute. That is A picture, Not THE picture. Did you all get the part where he said he is in New York? That photo was not taken in New York and is an old one.
Catwoman
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for the picture of the deer in the tree that teamcowboy up said he saw in deposit, ny. He said he was taking pictures. Surely he would have posted them for us?
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catwoman wrote:
I am still waiting for the picture of the deer in the tree that teamcowboy up said he saw in deposit, ny. He said he was taking pictures. Surely he would have posted them for us?

Oh deer, maybe he got ate Exclamation Smile Exclamation Smile

(did I say that?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: