www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Panther caught on video, Pennsylvania 11/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Black Panther caught on video, Pennsylvania 11/08 Reply with quote

http://kdka.com/video/?id=49387@kdka.dayport.com
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting
Ross Guidotti MCCONNELL'S MILL STATE PARK (KDKA) ― Is there a panther on the prowl in a local community?

A Lawrence County man says yes and says he has the video to prove it.

About two weeks ago, Arnold Julian, a veteran outdoorsman and hunter, put up a game trail cam to track deer near his home in McConnell's Mill State Park.

When he downloaded the video images, his jaw just about hit the floor. Captured on one of the files is what appears to be a very large black cat with a unique tail.

"Originally I thought it was a bear we've seen bear at the house before," Julian tells KDKA. "And I rewinded it a couple times and looked at it and I told my wife, 'You might want to come over here and look at this this is quite unique.'"

One of the big questions is if the video was actually shot in western Pennsylvania. Mrs. Julian took KDKA to where the camera was located and we took a look ourselves.

It's had to pinpoint the exact location, but there was a "y"-shaped tree, similar to the one in the recording, a brush pile and a rusted old car.

As for it being faked, Julian had this to say.

"No hell no. I don't have time to no," he said. "You can take the original and take it to whoever you want."

The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Game Commission want to look at the video closer.

"I am no biologist but I do have some common sense," Julian said. "If you look at a domestic cat and if you look at the video that I got, it has a very, very large unique tail that's dragging on the ground."

http://kdka.com/pets/Black.panther.video.2.873140.html
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they did a better job documenting the location and took some measurements Exclamation

They have the spot, but they could have taken more pictures ...to recreate the image for size.

That is no house cat Exclamation

The tail is 2/3 the length of the body...looks like a panther to me.

I would have also been looking for tracks and maybe some hair... Wink

bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way is that a house cat.....
PaGuy
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one Looooooooooooooong tail!!
Eagle
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy The news media messed up the video clip by putting thier logo where the date & time would normaly be on the Moultrie video clip. But the location looks authentic. New York State would argue about the video like always.Good job well done, hopefully the DEC does'nt ask for the game camera card.
bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would not let it out of my sight. Idea
Eagle
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wifes mother has had a farm since my wife was born and they have seen numerous Black Panthers & bear over the years but they never had any problems with thier cows or horses being attacked, until a year ago when a mt lion attacked my sister in laws horse 2 weeks after a neighbor who was a cop spotted the mt lion in his pasture & there were several others. But there has not been any more mt lion sightings since in Chautaqua county. But PA has more problems with cats for a lot longer time.
moms gone wilderness
Tracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my daughter and I saw a black (but it was dusk) cougar crossing the road in the wetlands of st lawrence county..last month.It was either a female or a yearling not fully grown by the looks of it. It was pretty cool though nobody believes us. lol Im pretty sure cougars can have black and tan babies in one litter, like a red fox can have brown pups and red
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im an environmentalist tree hugger. I like to take children on nature walk adventures and live in the Adirondacks region of NYS.

Do you take protection along with the kids on these nature walks that you encounter wolves and coyotes Question

So what makes one a "tree Hugger" Question Question Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> My Own Sightings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: