www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa. Cow attack by what we think was a mountain lion 6/07
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laddfarm@verizon.com
Tracker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Pa. Cow attack by what we think was a mountain lion 6/07 Reply with quote

A neighbor of mine had a cow that was attacked by something. The hide was literally ripped off in sheets. The cow has survived and is healing quite well. I have photos that I'd like to place on this group but I dont know how to do it. I have been in contact with Cougardaville about this matter and it is being investigated

Bill Aka Bummy[/i][/b]
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Welome Bummy...........

I will be happy to post the pictures of the cow .....

So glad she is recovering Very Happy

Actually, hard to believe the poor girl has made it Exclamation

Cougardaville Very Happy

Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cow attack by what we think was a mountain lion Reply with quote

laddfarm@verizon.com wrote:
A neighbor of mine had a cow that was attacked by something. The hide was literally ripped off in sheets. The cow has survived and is healing quite well. I have photos that I'd like to place on this group but I dont know how to do it. I have been in contact with Cougardaville about this matter and it is being investigated

Bill Aka Bummy[/i][/b]

Thank you Bummy......as I told you and your neighbors you are Great Scouts.....here are the pictures to be seen by all......
We have many at this time...we will start with this four...

I will continue next below....... Sad Sad

Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you are all taken back by the severe wounds on this heifer Sad This was such a shock to her owners Shocked They were notified by a neighbor that the cow was injured. This farm belonging to John and Linda Painter is home to over 1,000 head of cattle. Very Happy

When I was called about this attack, I immediately called the Painters to see how their cow was surviving and to discuss with them what may be lurking in their woods. Idea

This heifer, as I was told weighs 1700 pounds and was in tip top health. She was pastured with about 40 others like her. She is young and has not had a calf yet. Smile

The Painters, along with friends and family knew right away this was an attack by a wild animal. The cow was clawed and bitten severely. Sad She could barely walk, her hind legs showed weakness and injury. Their first call for help was to the PGC. Whenever somebody experiences a wild animal attack, we all think to call our Game Commission right away. We believe they have the expert training to advise and help us. Rolling Eyes
The Painters waited for a return call or visit from the PGC...... Arrow

Days later an officer named Rich Shire visited the Painters farm and observed the cow. His first response as to what did this was ........he had never seen anything like this and thought one of two things. He suggested that it may be liver disease or the cow was hit by lightening. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil The Painters son, age 34 said " Since when does lightening come with claws and teeth" Question Question Question The Painters along with many gathered neighbors told the officer that mountain lions had been seen in the area and for several years now. He admitted this might or might not be a mountain lion attack. He next stated he was going to send an EXPERT from Cornell University or Penn State to observe the cow. The Painters waited and no experts neither called or visited the farm. To this day, no one has followed up on the attack of this cow. Shocked Arrow

I have interviewed the Painters, who are very, very gracious folks. Very Happy Very Happy I also sent two of our field researchers to the Painters farm. They saw the cow and took pictures. They talked with the Painters, friends,neighbors and family about the caution they should take should a mountain lion be living on the edge of their farm. They heard testimonies of many others that had seen the mountain lions, they gave dates ,times and locations. While interviewing the neighboring farms we acquired more information. Many of the near by farms have been loosing calves, just vanishing. One man told us of a Black Angus calf that body parts were found nearly 1.5 miles away from its farm. Crying or Very sad

I have sent the photo's of this cow to leading experts around the U.S. What we do know at this point in time is, this was NOT lightening or Liver disease. We know this was a wild animal attack, and likely that of a mountain lion. We do Not believe this to be a black bear attack. The photo's above were not taken the day of the attack. Prey birds did aid in this cows injury's but did not cause the wounds.

I am happy to report today that the cow is recovering.

I am also happy to tell you the Man that started this thread has been one of the BEST SCOUTS I have ever enlisted in Pennsylvania. He has taken time to introduce us to his neighbors and keeps me informed on what is going on. He is broadcasting important information to all cautioning, that a mountain lion could be living in their neighborhood.

BUMMY you are the Best, you care about your friends and neighbors, including their animals Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation

We are still working in this area, we will keep you updated. Wink

PGC.......if you believe this was a Black Bear I suggest .......you go check on your bears..... Rolling Eyes

Cougardaville Very Happy

Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: in the news Reply with quote

Wild animal attack goes unexplained

http://www.tiogapublishing.com/a

(photo by Dick Vargeson) Pictured is the right side of a large heifer, belonging to John Painter, that was viciously attacked by something weeks ago.

By Dick Vargeson

It's true that no one has reported seeing the tracks of a mountain lion, there hasn't been any killed on the highway, and no one has a good picture to verify a sighting, but there are still people who suspect the presence of big cats in our area. The Pennsylvania Game Commission, however, asserts that there are no mountain lions in the state. These big cats are often referred to as cougars, pumas or panthers.

Still, there are those that claim to have seen the creatures, usually at a distance, and, in some instances, have a witness who was with them that will make the same statement. "It was big, yellow in color, and had a long tail." The strange thing about these statements is that they are being heard much more frequently.

Back in May a phone call was received from John Painter, saying that he had a large heifer (about 1500 pounds) that was mauled by something, possibly a big cat. The first attempt to get a good photo was unsuccessful, as we couldn't get close enough to the heifer. John then decided he would put the heifer in a trailer and take it to his farm where everyone involved could get a much closer look at the wounds on the heifer's back.

Everyone who got a good look at the heifer could see that there was little or no hide left on its back and visible claw marks could be seen. All seemed to agree that they had "never seen anything quite like it," including Game Commission Enforcement Officer Rich Shire. Shire stated, "My superiors have said that a bear will do this kind of damage."

The problem found with that theory, which was noted by most everyone who looked at the marks, was that a bear doesn't use all four claws as this animal had, and the claw marks were too close together. Everyone seemed to agree that the marks were too big to be those of a bobcat.

For more on this and other stories, pick up a copy of the Free Press-Courier today!

Thanks Dick .........so glad you published this story Exclamation
Kudos Exclamation Exclamation

Cougardaville

Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tiogapublishing.com/articles/2007/06/15/free_press_-_courier/news01.txt

This link will work better....... Wink
Cougardaville
freelief
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another board that "bummy" shared these photos with, over twenty people have commented.

Almost ALL agreed that NO wild animal would meticulously trace the edges of the black/white coat pattern like that. MANY supplied web links, photos and additional information about plant toxicity, reactions and burns matching your photos, as well as information on prior mountain lion attacks on animals that bear no resemblance to what you posted.

Not only did you ignore these people's questions and concern for the well-being of the cow, you belittled them for disagreeing with you.

How is it being overlooked that the injuries follow the pattern of the hide? Black spots are left alone, but areas where the coat is white are burned so badly that the hair is gone and the skin is blistered and broken.

There is a name for this condition, although photosensitivity (sun scald, aslike clover poisoning, etc.) is rarely this extreme. The cow should have received immediate veterinary attention, it is very painful. You claim it was ruled out, but how?

The injuries are inconsistent with documented cougar attacks on large animals such as cows or horses. Sorry, it isn't the news you wanted, but it is obvious to those you chose to ask advice of and then ignore and insult.

God bless.
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is part of what I just wrote about this cow.

We have hundreds of volunteers that want to get to the truth on this subject. We come form all walks of life. I am looking more into the possibility of disease in the cow, it does haunt me that the black spots were left. Now as you know in animals with hide, white hair is thinner skin than black? I considered photosensitization, my problems with it are....1- the cow was in that pasture along with others for some time, the weeping of the skin is not on the eyes, nose face area as it should be. The Painters have over a 1,000 head I think they would have seen this before should they have a poisonous plant out there 2-if PGC was called for a large animal attack and all are saying Mt. Lion "word" they should have jumped at the chance to test the animal for liver disease and dismiss all claims of an attack, we know they did NOT do that 3-if the cows was liver affected and going crazy with the sloughing of the hide, she may have attracted a predator all the more while bleeding and acting erratic, causing a prey trigger, by a cat. 4-The PGC concluded with a bear attack not plant .5-the cow had claw and bite marks. 6- it is still a bit of a mystery, and not seeing the cow right away..makes it more difficult. 7- the important part now... is you and all the neighbors are aware, and so eyes and ears are open!

Cougardaville Arrow
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freelief wrote:
On another board that "bummy" shared these photos with, over twenty people have commented.

Almost ALL agreed that NO wild animal would meticulously trace the edges of the black/white coat pattern like that. MANY supplied web links, photos and additional information about plant toxicity, reactions and burns matching your photos, as well as information on prior mountain lion attacks on animals that bear no resemblance to what you posted.

Not only did you ignore these people's questions and concern for the well-being of the cow, you belittled them for disagreeing with you.

How is it being overlooked that the injuries follow the pattern of the hide? Black spots are left alone, but areas where the coat is white are burned so badly that the hair is gone and the skin is blistered and broken.

There is a name for this condition, although photosensitivity (sun scald, aslike clover poisoning, etc.) is rarely this extreme. The cow should have received immediate veterinary attention, it is very painful. You claim it was ruled out, but how?

The injuries are inconsistent with documented cougar attacks on large animals such as cows or horses. Sorry, it isn't the news you wanted, but it is obvious to those you chose to ask advice of and then ignore and insult.

God bless.

I am not aware of any bashing comments concerning this cow.
I will state... this cow DID get immediate attention and still is Exclamation
We saw the cow yesterday, she is doing very well in a small pasture near the back door of the families home.
Showing photos like this always causes debate, which is why I don't post many. There were no close ups of the claw and bite marks. Which we would have taken with measurments of scale.
Not because we did not want them, it is hard to take pictures at the onset of an animal that is injured. The first concern was what caused this to this poor animal. Question When the cow was first found and news spread to neighbors, days had passed. It was then they started taking pictures. As you see the cow is in the barn and getting treatment, and remember they were waiting for Penn state or Cornell to visit them.

Cougardaville Smile

Welcome to the board Very Happy Very Happy
freelief
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cougardaville wrote:
Here is part of what I just wrote about this cow.

We have hundreds of volunteers that want to get to the truth on this subject. We come form all walks of life. I am looking more into the possibility of disease in the cow, it does haunt me that the black spots were left. Now as you know in animals with hide, white hair is thinner skin than black? I considered photosensitization, my problems with it are....1- the cow was in that pasture along with others for some time, the weeping of the skin is not on the eyes, nose face area as it should be. The Painters have over a 1,000 head I think they would have seen this before should they have a poisonous plant out there 2-if PGC was called for a large animal attack and all are saying Mt. Lion "word" they should have jumped at the chance to test the animal for liver disease and dismiss all claims of an attack, we know they did NOT do that 3-if the cows was liver affected and going crazy with the sloughing of the hide, she may have attracted a predator all the more while bleeding and acting erratic, causing a prey trigger, by a cat. 4-The PGC concluded with a bear attack not plant .5-the cow had claw and bite marks. 6- it is still a bit of a mystery, and not seeing the cow right away..makes it more difficult. 7- the important part now... is you and all the neighbors are aware, and so eyes and ears are open!

Cougardaville Arrow

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Here's what I think:

1. Good point, I've been wondering how this cow could react so violently to something the other cows are also exposed to without symptoms.

2. Can't control what PGC shoulda coulda woulda ...

3. I made the same suggestion, however I still don't see the claw/bite marks in the pics displayed.

4. I thought bummy said that the PGC concluded lightning or liver disease? Will have to look back.

5. Can't discern any in the pics I've seen, sorry.

6. Agree completely.

7. Good.
freelief
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cougardaville: thanks for the welcome, by the way.

Tell me about your horses! Wink
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freelief wrote:
Cougardaville: thanks for the welcome, by the way.

Tell me about your horses! Wink

My horses are the "Love" of my life Very Happy

I have Quarter horses.....

and you Question
freelief
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go gaited. Two Tennessee Walkers and a gaited pony. Got spoiled by my first horse (Racking mare) and never could figure out why someone would choose to trot instead. Wink

What do you do with your Quarters?
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done just about it all ...we hit the show circuit for some time, Also I use to run horse shows.

At this time I am training and mostly trail riding, when it is safe Shocked

Not only do we have the mountain lion sightings here we have too many coyotes. They never use to be a problem, we would ride right past them as they watched us Rolling Eyes Now they are getting to close. I don't ride with my dogs any more, I don't want to attract anything that could hurt them.

Some days you feel good and make the ride, others you stay closer to the farm Idea

I listen to what my horses are telling me, if they say it's a go...we are off, if not..... Sad Sad

I rode a Rocky Mountain for some time, he was wonderful, I said my retirement horse would be gaited. Smile

Cougardaville Very Happy

OTN
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Claw marks Reply with quote

From the photos above. These look like claw marks to me.

Front leg

Rear leg

Would like to see more close up photos of claw and bite marks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: